Many people often complain that their furnace or blower wheel is wobbling so much that it feels as if their entire house or garage is shaking. The most common reason for a wobbling furnace is either that the blower wheel and/or motor have become dirty, or they lost their balance or may be even broken.
Other reasons for a blower wheel wobbling include obstruction, dirt accumulation, or even worse, a component of the furnace itself being stuck in the blower wheel. Such incidents cause the furnace to clog making it wobble and sometimes, shake vigorously.
How to inspect a wobbling blower wheel?
- Begin by turning off the power to the blower wheel.
- Carefully inspect the wheel for any signs of damage or wear. Check for any cracks, chips, or other signs of weakness.
- If there are any visible signs of damage or wear, replace the blower wheel. Otherwise, continue to the next step.
- Turn on the power to the blower wheel and wait for it to reach full speed. Then, use a tape measure to check the wobble of the wheel.
- If the wobble is significant, then the wheel needs to be replaced. Otherwise, you can continue to use the wheel, but be sure to regularly check for signs of damage or wear. If necessary, replace the wheel sooner rather than later to prevent damage to the furnace.
- Occasionally, a blower wheel can become unbalanced due to the loss of weight on the blades. These weights are typically small metal pieces that can become dislodged from the wheel. Check if these weights are in place. If they are not, you may need to replace the blower wheel.
Checking a blower wheel for wobbling is an important step in keeping your machine running smoothly. By regularly checking for signs of weakness, you can prevent major problems down the road. If you notice any signs of damage or wear, be sure to replace the wheel as soon as possible to avoid serious damage.
Main reasons for a wobbling furnace due to motor
If you are wondering is it the busted motor that is the reason behind your wobbling furnace, below mentioned are some of the signs to look for.
- Underperforming motor: If you are not getting enough air coming out of your vents and your furnace is wobbling, it could be an indication that the furnace blower motor is either underperforming or is clogged.
- Busted motor: If the blower motor has stopped working, you can check if it is wobbling by grasping the wheel at two different points and pulling it in different directions. If the wheel wobbles, it needs to be replaced.
- Insufficient belt tension: Check if the blower motor is underperforming by checking the belt tension. If it is loose, the motor may not be able to generate enough power and could be causing wobbling.
- Worn bearings: The sound of loud rattling and wobbling furnace could be due to furnace motor where the bearings are either extremely worn down or no longer usable. If this is the case, you need to change your motor, or get it repaired.
- Faulty wheel or motor: Furnaces may make a variety of strange noises such as rattling, grinding, clunking, banging, and screeching, which may be caused by a faulty blower motor or wheel. When the noise is coming from the blower motor, you can check it by removing the cover and looking inside. If the wheel is wobbling, it will be off-center and cause the noise. If the wheel is not off-center, but the motor is making the noise, it may be a sign of a more serious problem and you should have the furnace serviced.
Main reasons for an underperforming or a damaged motor
Below mentioned are some of the reasons why your blower motor is busted or is underperforming:
- Getting too hot because of limited air exposure
- Defective or worn belt, pulley or fan
- Damaged blades, impeller or motor frame
- Inadequate lubrication
- Blockage in the air intake system
- Dust, debris or foreign material in the air flow
- Clogged filters and hoses
- Corrosion on moving parts
- Lack of maintenance and regular cleaning
5 Main reasons for wobbling of furnace due to blower wheel
Apart from motor, furnaces may also start shaking due to a wobbling blower wheel. Below mentioned are some of the reasons that may cause a blower wheel to wobble:
- Improper Installation: The blower wheel may be wobbling due to improper installation. If the wheel is not properly mounted to the motor shaft, it can cause it to wobble and cause problems with the operation of the blower.
- Poorly Made Motor: If the motor is poorly made, it may also cause the blower wheel to wobble. A poorly made motor may not be able to generate enough power to properly operate the blower. This can lead to wheel wobbling and other problems with the operation of the blower.
- Bent Shaft: If the shaft of the motor is bent, it can also cause the blower wheel to wobble. A bent shaft may not be able to generate enough power to properly operate the blower, which can lead to the wheel wobbling.
- Loose Bolts: If the bolts that hold the blower wheel in place are loose, it can also cause it to wobble.
- Damaged blower housing: You can also check the blower housing for cracks or damages that could be causing the wobbling.
How to fix a wobbling blower wheel?
If your furnace blower wheel is producing loud noises and the heating/cooling system is not running properly, you can take on the task of fixing it with some basic knowledge. To restore balance to the wheel, start by removing it and then cleaning it and carefully reattaching it.
You will need the following tools to fix minor blower wheel wobbling problems:
- Vacuum cleaner
- Rag or paper towel
- Flathead screwdriver
- Socket wrench
- Nut driver
- Wrench (adjustable)
Removing, cleaning and checking the blower wheel
Remove the blower wheel – To remove the blower wheel, unscrew the screws that hold it in place and then take it off the furnace.
Clean the blower wheel – After the blower wheel is removed, clean the area around it where dust and debris may have been collected. Use a cloth or a vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment to clear away any foreign particles clinging to it.
Check for wobbling – Place the blower wheel on a flat surface. If it wobbles, the bearings are likely not in good condition and should be replaced.
Replace the blower wheel – If the bearings are in good condition and the blower wheel still wobbles, it may need to be replaced. Contact a professional to have the wheel replaced.
If you are unsure, try gently moving it around to see if it moves freely. If the wheel does not move easily, it may need to be replaced.
Where to find the best replacement blower wheel in China?
TSLBlower is one of the most reputed blower wheel manufacturer’s in China. We are considered to be the industry leaders in designing and manufacturing of blower wheels and centrifugal fans for industrial as well as residential purposes.
Our reputation precedes us as far as maintaining high level of consistency and quality are concerned. We are also known for delivering orders real quickly both at both domestic and international levels.
Since TSL Blower’s inception in 2005, it has dedicated itself to research, design and manufacture DC blower fans and impellers that are in line with our customer needs and expectations.
As a result, we have developed an extensive selection of replacement and repair parts for blower wheels, fan impellers, and DC fans during our time in the plastic injection moulds and components industry. Today, we offer a comprehensive range of blower wheels to suit all types of applications and budgets.
TSL Blower is the go-to source for high-quality blower wheels and related products. With decades of expertise, our products are guaranteed to meet your expectations and come with a quality guarantee.
At our company, we are committed to delivering exceptional products and services that go beyond your expectations. We guarantee to provide you with the best possible customer experience as well.
We are dedicated to ensuring that you are 100% satisfied with your purchase from TSL Blower. We can match all of your requirements like shape, size, material, etc., at a much economical price compared to others.
To get a quote or to ask any blower wheel related queries, please fill in the online form or call us at +86 15899900774. You can also email your queries to email@example.com. So, what are you waiting for? Replace your wobbling blower wheel with one of our state of the art blower wheels today!